Protecting Yourself from Fraud
New scams are discovered every day. The best way to protect yourself is to look for the warning signs, and to be aware of high-risk activities. Below are some known red flags.
- Received a check for an item you sold on the internet?
- Received a check for more than the selling price of an item you sold?
- Received a check from someone you communicated with via email?
- Received a check drawn on a business or individual account that is different than the person paying you?
- Been informed that you are the winner of a lottery that you did not enter?
- Been instructed to wire, send or ship money as soon as possible to a large U.S. city or another country, such as Canada, England or Nigeria?
- Been asked to pay money to receive a deposit from another country such as Canada, England or Nigeria?
- Been offered a payment or a commission for facilitating money transfers through your account?
- Responded to an email requesting you to confirm, update, or provide your account information?
If any of the items above happened to you, and you think you may have been a victim of fraud, please call us at (800) 743-7228 so we can help.